It is not easy to move a wordpress site to a new domain. You need to be very careful while moving to a new WordPress site. Whenever you are moving the WordPress site to a new domain you need to take a backup of your original website. Here, I will explain how to move a wordpress site to a new domain.
Steps to Move WordPress Site to a New Domain
Step1: Create a Duplicator Package of your WordPress Site to move the WordPress site to a new domain
- In the first method, you need to create a backup of your website.
- In order to take backup of your site, use the backup plugin.
- Once you take the backup of your site, go to the next method.
Click here to know about how to take a backup of the wordpress site using the Duplicator file.
Step2: Create Database for New Domain to move wordpress site to a new domain
- In order to create a database, Go to the database section in your dashboard
- and click on the MySQL database icon.
- Next, it will take you to a new page where you need to create a new database.
- You need to enter the name of your database
- and click on the ‘Create Database’ button.
- Next, go to the MySQL users section
- you need to provide the user name and password
- and click on create a user button.
- Next, you need to add this user to a database
- go to ‘add a user to the database section’,
- where you need to select the user and the database
- and click on Add button.
Step3: Unpacking WordPress on a New Domain Name to move wordpress site to a new domain
- You need to upload the backup copy of your site that is created in the first step to your new domain.
- Connect your domain with the FTP client
- and the root directory of your site should be empty.
Click Here to upload archive and installer files to the root directory.
Step4: Set up Permanent 301 directories to move the wordpress site to a new domain
- Go to the wp-admin folder
- and open the .htaccess file
- and put the below code at the top.
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http:
- In place of www.website.com, you need to write your new domain name.
- Now you visit your site
- and check whether it is redirected to a new domain or not.
Step5: Notifying Google about the Changes to move wordpress site to a new domain
- After moving your site to a new domain, You need to tell Google about the new domain.
- So, you need to index your new domain.
Click Here to know about how to submit URLs to the Google webmaster tool
You need to be very careful while moving your site to a new domain, follow the above steps carefully. You need to index the website in google webmaster without missing it.